San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Can my girlfriend deny me from picking up my 18 month old daughter without her being present?

I always have to wait for my girlfriend to get out of work before I can see my daughter. She is always left with my gf's parents. My gf and I do not live together. There is no court order. I do have her covered under my health insurance and help provide financially.

1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kingwood, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Without a court order saying otherwise, you have the same rights that she does. Therefore, you can pick up your daughter whenever you want to, even if the mother is not present.

Without a court order, the mother can keep the child from you and you can keep the child from the mother. To avoid this problem you should consider talking to an attorney about filing a suit affecting the parent child relationship with the goal of getting a court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.