Homosassa, FL asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for Florida

Q: I felt pressured into having a brief affair with a superior at work who is like family to the owner can I get severance?

She is a family friend of the owner. I sent an email to HR and asked if this was a fireable offense. I don't want to return to work unless she resigns. She has family that works there and they said I could try to get her to resign but that wouldn't work be cause the owner loves her like a daughter. I planned on getting HR involved her family laughed at me and said how about we give you the owners number instead. They have gotten my family involved and have been sending nasty messages to my wife. They have spread rumors around about me and turned it into hostile environment I am not comfortable returning to. I would like to negotiate a severance and quietly go away. I hesitate to turn in my resignation until I have a clear plan of action.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your race, gender national origin or because have a disability, or feel you have been retaliated against for speaking out or asserting your legal rights in the workplace, you should contact the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR) here in Tallahassee. The FCHR's toll free telephone number is (800) 342 8170; or you can call them at (850) 488 7082. If you do call, ask to speak with an Intake Counselor. You do not need a lawyer; but retaining one before you file a charge of discrimination will help get through the bureaucracy If you feel you have been discriminated against by actions of your supervisors or co-workers at your workplace because of your race, age, gender (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation or national origin, religion or marital status or because you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.