Fresno, CA asked in Education Law, Civil Litigation and Juvenile Law for California

Q: Would one be able to "punish" a school or staff for compensation for the racial discrimination of students/theft?

In a specific situation, a friend of mine who's finally said something about what they had to endure in their seventh grade year. This was about two years ago. What had happened was that their bag which contained their Hmong cultural clothes and very clearly had her name on it was stolen by student or students. They stole the bag, ripped it and cut up her clothes inside. What was returned the day she needed it to perform for the school was not the original bag and still missed a few parts of he outfit, if not already damaged. There was no compensation at all, nor an apology from the one who committed the theft. The identity of who commit it was not revealed to anyone, the victim or even the family. Soon after it was swept under the carpet.

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First, the person who was wronged needs to post for themselves, otherwise this is just an "I am curious" posting. Claims against public agencies are subject to a requirement for the presentation of an administrative claim usually within 180 days, of injury. Since this happened two years ago and you are just asking about it now, this probably did not happen. Sometimes this requirement could be tolled (suspended) due to the "minority" of the plaintiff. If your "friend' has questions, they should contact a "Civil Rights" attorney in your local area. Sorry she was treated this way by persons unknown.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.