Dundalk, MD asked in Business Law for Maryland

Q: Can I sue CPA for business agreement negligence.

i sold business on monthly payment now buyer stop payment and close account. When i check my legal document I missing the" promissory note". In bill of sale and agreement it doesn't mention by CPA , when happens, if buyer refused to make a payment. CPA told me my only option is the go to court. can I file a legal complain and sue for negligence?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You cannot sue for negligence. This is a breach of contract. You didn’t use a lawyer, apparently, for this transaction. If your CPA provided the sales contract for this transaction then he was engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, which is another matter altogether. Take your documents to a lawyer to figure out what you have to do. It will likely be a suit for the balance due on the sale, and nothing more. Getting a judgment may be the easy party. Collecting on the judgment depends on the buyer and any attachable assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.