Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: would i be able to sue a dealership for giving false info about promo going on

We called the dealership to get information before going so that if we didn't meet criteria then we wouldn't waste our time. So they told us over the phone that we didn't have to worry about our credit being ran, we would only have to pay $88 as a down payment, and the monthly... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Jan 13, 2022

You can complain to the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's office and they will investigate.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Supplier/ installer company sold the ceiling track light to the dentist. The light got separated from the pole, fell and

The light got separated from the pole, fell and caused injury. Expert concluded that the security pin that hold the light to the pole was not installed. Company came and replaced the light and installed the pin in other thirteen pieces of the same type of equipment. There was a personal injury... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 24, 2021

(1) and (2): The Consumer Product Safety Commission issues recalls for unsafe consumer products, and the manufacturer remains liable to injured persons (emphasis on "injured") on account of their dangerous products, but there is n general right to sue companies solely on the basis that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: A check written out to my business from another business is stolen from mail and cashed, who’s responsible for paying me

Maryland. Subcontracted for a job, the contractor mailed a check as payment payment was stolen from the mail, I never received it someone signed and cashed it

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 18, 2021

Assuming what you are being told (by whom?) is true, the bank that paid the check is legally liable to the person or company to whom the check was made payable. The bank that paid the check accepted a forged signature without checking or confirming the identity of the person cashing/depositing it.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Maryland on
Q: What recourse do I have when a business refuses to accept a gift card that is still within 4 years of original purchase?

The gift card has fine print, smaller than 12 pt font, indicating that it expires 1 year from purchase.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 15, 2021

Read all about your rights at the following link, and scroll to the end of the page on the link for phone numbers to call. You can also search for a consumer protection lawyer who may be able to take on the case under a consumer protection statute that allows them to sue for attorney's fees... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: How to get a liquor license for a party bus?

What statutes and licenses allow for the consumption of alcohol on a party bus and/or mobile bar?

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 10, 2021

Each county and the City of Balitomore has its own liquor board license regulations for sale of liquor within their jurisdictions, so you will need to check with each jurisdiction in which you intend to operate. You will have to check with each liquor license board whether a license is required to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: What are the exceptions to the 3 year requirement for filing a law suit for breech of contract?
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Nov 14, 2021

(1) the word, "seal" appears on, near or under th signature of the person signing the contract, which extends th SOL to 12 years in Maryland.

(2) the contract specifies a different SOL.

(3) the party suing is or was under a disability during the time the SOL was running,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Business Occupations and Professions Title 18 - Security Systems Technicians Subtitle 1 - Definition;

General Provisions § 18-102(d)(2) Have access to circumventional information. What is circumventional information? I looked up the word circumventional and it's not a word.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Nov 4, 2021

MD Code, Business Occupations & Professions, § 18-101. Definitions

(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.

Circumventional information

(b)(1) “Circumventional information” means information, including pass codes, that allows an individual...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Do I need to register as a sole proprietor with SDAT?

By having a domain and selling on the website. No business license required.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 29, 2021

If your business uses or owns any personal property in the conduct of its business, then yes. Businesses must pay an annual tax based on the value of their personal property (furniture, fixtures, tools, machinery, equipment, etc.). The Maryland Department of Assessments & Taxation administers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Are you required to open a business bank account?

If you're a sole proprietor and also file a DBA in Maryland.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 26, 2021

No, but it’s a lot cleaner and easier for accounting and tax purposes if you do, since you need to separate out business expenses and income from your personal expenses. It’s a much better business practice as well since there may come a time when you’d like to obtain business financing,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: How do I issue shares to myself in Maryland

My company is incorporated in Delaware and I have applied for registration in maryland as foreign entity. I want to issue shares to myself. I have appointed myself as CEO and Secretary. Do I need witness to issue shares to myself ?

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Aug 27, 2021

Consult a lawyer. You can issue stock on behalf of the company as the director or officer, to yourself, by use of a bill of sale or stock subscription agreement. You need to check your articles of incorporation and any stockholder's agreement, by-laws, etc., to confirm how many shares of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: My question to you is; since I've never paid taxes before nor am I eligible for a SSN, what do you recommend I do?

I have a unique case under my belt. Perhaps you've worked with people in a similar situation before, but I'm an A2 visa holder (under my father's contract) and I'm looking to purchase an online E-commerce business that has gone for sale for $4 million. It's an extremely... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Jul 30, 2021

Such an endeavor and investment warrants the retaining of an experienced immigration attorney. There are a few possibilities and you should discuss them with a qualified attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Hello, I am looking into getting a few vending machines that might span a few counties in MD, and I can't find answers

on what will be required. The state site does not help any either. I am military if that helps with anything. Thank you in advance.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 15, 2021

A vending machine license is not required if the following items are offered for sale:

Cigarettes - (Special laws govern the sales of cigarettes through a vending machine. For more information, contact the State License Bureau or the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county in which the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: If I self-publish a book and want to sell it, what do I need to do? If I need a license, then what kind?

Will I need to establish a small business.

If so, which is most economical, a sole proprietorship or partnership.

Who do I need to talk to?

Rolanzo Richard White
Rolanzo Richard White answered on Jun 2, 2021

You do not need to establish a business to self publish a book, but there are several advantages to to doing so. For instance, you can deduct businesses expenses you may have incurred in making your book from your tax liability.

Sole proprietorships, partnerships, and LLCs each have...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: What will it cost to file articles of conversion and articles of incorporation in md
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 1, 2021

The filing fees are listed on the SDAT website, and the amount depends on whether you mail the filings in (which can take two to four weeks to get filed that way) or by electronic filing over the internet portal, which happens within a day. The fee doubles to do the internet portal filing. Legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Health Care Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I be held liable for a dental bill when correct amounts were not initially disclosed or signed for?

My dentist office continuously provided procedures under the pretense that they would be covered by my insurance. I have now discovered that I hit my spending limit, despite asking the office multiple times if I was coming up on it. They are now holding me accountable for out of pocket costs that I... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Mar 30, 2021

Unless you can show a knowing and intentional act on the part of the dental office to fraudulently trick you into dental services they knew were not covered by your insurance plan, and you clearly and unequivocally communicated to them that you would only accept the procedures if they confirmed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: hello what rights do I have as a business owner if my partner is trying to force me out.

I invested $60,000 in a restaurant and my partner wants to force a buy out at $42000. I don't have access to the business records and I want to force this. I don't want to get bought out now either.


Davin Van Eyken
Davin Van Eyken answered on Mar 29, 2021

No you cannot be forced out without a court order mandating that course of action.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: With “Rent to own” financing where breach occurred, is Confessed Judgment in lieu of Sm Claims complaint ok?
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Mar 26, 2021

Until the tenant exercises the option to buy, and converts the lease into a sales contract, the tenant remains a tenant and the owner remains a landlord, and the remedies for breach are governed by the landlord tenant laws. There may even be a gray area between exercise of the option and actually... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Are there any license requirements to become a ship chandler?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 10, 2021

Ship chandler is a term that's used more loosely than traditional seagoing slots for which licensing credentialing is clear, such as second engineer for first officer. If the employer has any kind of requirement to maintain merchant marine credentialing, information on seagoing credentialing... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Business Law, Civil Rights and Intellectual Property for Maryland on
Q: Can I receive settlements from businesses?

I am a freelance model , I post most of my work on my social media accounts and run that as my business page as well . For years small brands and large cooperations use and manipulate my images into business logos , promotional marketing and evening jewelry and interior design products . Can I... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Mar 3, 2021

You need to retain local counsel to set up the right corporate entities for you, then have an intellectual property attorney set up the appropriate protections for you. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE! YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY WHO IS LICENSED IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE. This is merely... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Copyright and Gaming for Maryland on
Q: Can you re-sell custom painted video game controllers as a legal business?
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Feb 17, 2021

“Under the doctrine of ‘patent exhaustion,’” United States Supreme Court Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., wrote in a 2017 decision, “once a patent holder sells an item, it can no longer control the item through the patent laws.... The purchaser and all subsequent owners are free to use... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.