Philadelphia, PA asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Don't want to overstay my visa, but my country is closed because of Coronavirus. What can I do?

I am in Philadelphia on a student visa. I completed my Optional Practical Training, and my work permit expired July 9, but I have a two month grace period to leave the country. However Venezuela is not admitting international flights due to the pandemic. I don't want to overstay my visa and make it harder to return in the future. Is there anything I can do to stay here legally until my country reopens?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should meet with an attorney to discuss all of your options. One option may be to file to change status to from F-1 to B-2. But before you make that decision, consider consulting with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.