Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: My daughters mother will not let me see my child unless I pay her. We have no court order and she wouldn’t let me sign

The birth certificate. Does she have a right to keep my child away from me? She won’t even let me speak to her on the phone. I don’t have a lot of money. What’s my best course of action, for getting custody/visitation, and getting my name on the birth certificate. I live in Will County, Illinois.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to file a parentage action in Will County. First you have to establish that you are the father, before you have any right to custody or visitation, now called parenting rights and responsibilities. So yes, until you are established, she has the right to keep your child away from you. The Court can order your name to be placed on the birth certificate, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.