Northbridge, MA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: My little brothers father and my mom got a divorce and he doesn’t live with us anymore. Can he record us when he visits?

Before he was removed from our home he had “nanny” cams, and would frequently use his phone to record us in our home. At first I was told it’s like a nanny cam and was okay. Now that he lives with us can he still come into my house and record us with his gopro? I do not want to be recorded but if it’s not against any rules then I won’t think about it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Recordings are not permitted without consent of the recorded person in Massachusetts. Your mother is authorized to inform him it is unacceptable behavior and may need to address this behavior which is likely being prompted by his father via a Modification of the terms of visitation and possibly custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.