Denver, CO asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado

Q: Can I sue an insurance company for not covering known car accident expenses?

Over 3 years ago my car was T-boned in the front end when parked and sustained body/axle damage. Their insurance company has been fighting since the beginning about fixing all the axle damage. They sent me to a car body repair place who uses Brakes Plus to fix other issues like axles. Brakes Plus never properly fixed the axle problems on my Volvo. I have been fighting with the insurance company for a while to send my car to an axle repair facility. 8 months ago, the insurance comp. admitted in writing they didn’t know how the accident happened, yet they have copies of complaints I've filed since the beginning along with photos of the accident. I recently paid for the rest of the axle issues to be fixed. They are refusing to reimburse because of statue §13-80-101(n), stating it’s past 3 years. First line of statue states that issue - shall be commenced within three years after the cause of action accrues. They have known about the issue from the beginning. Do I have any legal recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It sounds like you were trying to negotiate with the adversary vehicle's insurance carrier. Unfortunately, the premise that generally applies in such situations is that an opponent is not under an obligation to protect you regarding the statute of limitations. You could consult with a Colorado attorney to see if any options still remain. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.