Mason, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: I’m a 16 and living in Ohio. My dad is verbally abusive. Can I go to my moms without his consent?

My dad is verbally abusive to me and often time I want to go to my moms house. Am I allowed to go over there without his consent if I do not feel comfortable being with him anymore?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If there is a court order for custody or parenting, then you must follow the court order. Talk to your mother about asking the court to change it. If there is no court order, and your parents are married, then it is up to your parents to decide. If there is no court order, and your parents are not married, then your mother would have custody of you unless your father has obtained parental rights. Talk to your mother about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.