Reynoldsburg, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: Im 18 and i live in Ohio. I want to move out without my parents permission. Will they be able to call the cops?

I’m 18 and I want to move out without my parents permission. My best friend dad is willing to let me stay at his house for free until I get a job and pay him rent. My best friend lives in Colorado and that’s where I want to move. Will my parents be able to call the cops and will they have to bring me back home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You are 18 and can make your own decisions, unless there is a guardianship or other court action. They could call the police, but they won't do anything if you are not in danger. If you leave home, will you still have health insurance and car insurance? If you get sick or go in the hospital, will your friend's family want to take care of you. What if you and your friend have an argument and they ask you to leave? Would your family take you back? When you are 18, you can make your own decisions and live with the consequences. It is normal for teens to want to escape their parents rules. But during the current pandemic, you might want to think carefully before making any big changes.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.