Reno, NV asked in Contracts, Estate Planning and Probate for Nevada

Q: My wife's uncle is embezzling funds from a trust. He wants to have her sign a new trust.

My wife's uncle is embezzling funds from a trust. He wants to have her sign a new trust. In the original trust, A, he has full discretion over funds. In trust fund B, he does not. He wants to merge trust fund B into trust fund A, so he can steal it.

What I'm curious about is the stated reason given for the dissolution (because saying "I'm a thief" is not really a compelling argument) is that trust fund b has accrued more than the 10,000 dollars slotted to be given to each of the surviving grandchildren. And that excess money "cannot fully be distributed" due to "scrivener's error".

I've never heard of anything like that before, so my question is, is that a real thing?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should contact an attorney familiar with trusts and estates that can review the two trusts you make reference to and provide legal guidance. You don't mention the type of trust (revocable, irrevocable, etc.), and you mentioned the merging of the trusts and dissolution (of I guess trust B). Why would your wife sign another trust? Is she the grantor of both trusts? There are many unknowns and each trust is different so the only advice that can be provided to you at this point is to have an attorney review both trusts.

My response provides only general information and is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use or rely on this information without first consulting with your own lawyer and discussing your specific facts and available options in detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.