Tracy, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: Been 4 years not on birth certificate never did paternity now they are seeking child support

What do I do and if it is mine and I come to an agreement with the other parent could I avoid the child support and work out an agreement that’s set by the court or I could avoid the court completely I’m in California in The Weeknd today nothings open and I received the packet asking for my paystubs and health info it was made 7/22/20 and barley got it yesterday please need help direct me to a family attorney I want to resolve this civilized but don’t know how to go about it legally

1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, it is the responsibility of both parents to financially support their children. It sounds like you received a packet from Child Support Services. It is very important that you respond immediately by hiring an attorney to help you respond. The attorney can further advise you about a possible settlement outside of court. If you can't afford an attorney, you should send the county the requested documents by their deadline. In your response, ask for a paternity test to be certain that you are the father. If you are the father, you will most likely have to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.