Washington, IN asked in Family Law and Wrongful Death for Indiana

Q: I have a Pending guardianship and my guardian has sold my estate and my personal belongings . Would this be conversion?

She has placed me in a Nursing Home and I have no say in anything. She does not respect my rights, she just treats me as if I don't exist! Her attorney appointed an attorney ad-lit-um for me who I have not heard from for over a year!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Conversion is just a fancy word for steal. If you suspect that your guardian-ad-litem has stolen your property, simply request an accounting. The guardian's failure to account for ANY part of your property would constitute a breach of his/her fiduciary duty to you and subject the guardian to punishment and probable disbarment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.