Charlotte, NC asked in DUI / DWI and Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: I'm 55 years old I was just indicted on habitual dwi spanning out since 1990. Am I going to prison?

Can I avoid prison at age 55? Can they go back to 1990 30 years ago and charge me with habitual today?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: No, you can not avoid prison because of your age. You typically avoid prison by either not being convicted of something that requires prison time or convincing a Judge to be lenient when prision time is optional. As to how far they can go back, it depends on what you mean. If you mean can they charge you for a felony DWI you committed 30 years ago, then yes, they can go back as far as they want - there is no statute of limitations on felonies in North Carolina. If you mean can they use DWI's you were convicted of 30 years ago to make a current DWI charge 'habitual' - that is determined by the statute but likely also - yes. If you hire a good DWI attorney who can review your specific situation in detail and lay out your options for you, there may be something that can be done to keep you out of prison. However, if you are facing a conviction for habitual DWI then what you are up against from the state's perspective is that essentially it has come down to locking you up as the only way left to keep you from endangering others by driving while impaired. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.