Bastrop, TX asked in Adoption and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I adopt my nephew (my son, he’s currently 12 and my husband and I have had him since 4 months old)

Before my son was in kindergarten we paid a low cost attorney over 300$ for the paper work to adopt. We did not have the money for filing, home study etc. We’ve been able to do everything we’ve needed (medical, school enrollment etc with a notarized paper from my sister, his biological mother. Father has never been in the picture.) He’s been on every lease, filed as a dependent every tax year. Even though we’ve had no trouble, I feel this is always looming over my head. I want him to be officially, legally ours. At this point, after 12 years, is there any way to make this legal without having to get home studies and jumping through hoops?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rick  Davis
Rick Davis
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Bryan, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A Home Study is required by statute.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.