Detroit, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: I'm currently my fathers Conservator and Guardian. 10 years ago he suffered a stroke.

He has made a full recovery. My question is, Can we get out from under the Court Directed Probate System. It's making simple family business difficult. Are there any steps or procedures I can take to relinquish their control?

Thank You in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Any interested person (including you, or your father) can petition the Probate Court to modify or terminate the conservatorship or guardianship, on account of changed circumstances and that the continued guardianship/conservatorship is no longer necessary for your father's protection. More information about this can be obtained from the Probate Court for the county where your father's current guardianship/conservatorship is. For further information, consult with an experienced probate attorney in your area.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.