Boise, ID asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho

Q: My parents are both emotionally immature could I get custody of my 15 yr old sister being 22 myself. I have my own place

They've been very abusive, emotionally abusive, and have neglected her to the point where she takes care of herself to the best she can. But I just want to give her more, and teach her skills my parents should've. I have a good job and she was also thinking of getting a job so we'd be fine on bills. I also moved out at 17 and have figured out my life and I just want to help my sister get out of this situation so she doesn't have to struggle as much as I have.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: You sound like an emotionally mature, young man and an adult by Idaho law. Idaho Title 15, Chapter 13 provides that you may apply to become her permanent guardian, even at your young age. If your parents object, so be it. It sounds like you have plenty of anecdotal evidence of your irresponsible parents' neglect and emotional abuse to win the judge's decision. I say, "good on ya!" Thank you for helping and being willing to help someone who is vulnerable and needs help!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.