Asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Can I be forced to pay child support in NC for a child that's not mine but my name is on the birth certificate?

My ex told me after we broke up that she was pregnant and that her unborn child was mine and that there was absolutely no one else who could be the child's father. I took her at her word and when the child was born, I signed the birth certificate. We never got back together but I would see the child from time to time and would help financially whenever I could. About a year or two it was revealed to me that there is another man who is more than likely the child's father. I distanced myself from the situation. Now, she or DSS has filed for child support against me. I do not believe this child is mine. Can I be forced to pay child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The short answer is - yes. If you don't want to be on the hook for child support, you will need to take steps to have paternity determined and to have child support stopped if it has been court ordered. Your best bet is likely to consult with a local family law attorney who can review you specific situation in more detail and lay out your options for you. Best of luck.

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.