Tavares, FL asked in Elder Law for Florida

Q: My fathers wife just passed away. Her son took guardianship from my Father because she had dementia and was in a home.

When the son filled out the death certificate, he stated she was a widow and did not put my fathers name as spouse and did not inform him of his wife’s death. Is there anything we can do to fix this? My father would like to know her cause of death.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Apply to the Florida Department of Health for a death certificate showing the cause of death. Your father can qualify for one that shows the cause of death, if he provides sufficient proof that she was his wife. The form can be accessed here: http://www.floridahealth.gov/certificates/certificates/_documents/DH727-Death-Application-4-3-2019.pdf

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.