Spring Hill, FL asked in Criminal Law and Military Law for Florida

Q: I am on probation and I'm trying to get off to join the military. I have early term and withhold of adjudication.

I've served 2 of 6 years and I'm 20 years old and I've met all of the conditions except the restitution. Is it possible to get off to join the military?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Typically restitution is one of the most important conditions of probation. This of course depends on the type of charge and restitution amount involved. Some judges might be willing to convert restitution to a lien based on a Motion requesting the judge to do so. In my experience most judges will require you to be pretty far along in the enlistment process before they place any weight on a defendant's desire to join the military. Just thinking about it doesn't mean much. You are much more likely to be allowed off of probation early if the restitution is paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.