Half Moon Bay, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: After 32 years of marriage What kind of settlement should a wife get

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, as a general rule, all community property is divided equally between the spouses. Community property is all property acquired during marriage, with a few exceptions for gifts and inheritances. After 32 years of marriage, you and your spouse may have savings, retirement accounts, a home and much more. It will all be split 50-50 unless one of you can trace it back to separate property. Even if one spouse was a homemaker for part or all of the marriage, the retirement savings of the employed spouse will be divided equally. The spouse with the lower income may also be entitled to long term spousal support. You should certainly consult with an attorney about your rights. Your attorney may even be able to get the court to order that your spouse pay your attorney’s fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.