Tampa, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My ex is threatening to get my daughter taken from me because I allowed him to see her after courts said not to.

In 2012 my daughter was taken into foster care because my ex was abusive to me. They said if I can't protect myself I can't protect her. I was eventually reunified after doing victim's classes, parenting classes ect. He did nothing, so was never reunified. He went to prison shortly after for DUI w/ great bodily harm. 5 yrs later he gets out and I allow his girlfriend to supervise visits. She told me a few times that she couldn't come over because he was messing up with drinking and drugs. I kept trying to allow them to get to know each other when he was sober, but now with covid I said the visits had to stop since his gf had it. He got mad, and now is taking me to court saying he will tell the courts that I have been going against the order by letting him see her. He pays no support (40k behind) yet has a private attorney. I'm scared that me trying to not alienate them has now backfired in my face and I will lose my daughter for good! Will they take her from me for breaking the order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: Your ex is most likely taking you to court in the family law division. The Court that entered the Order reuniting you and your daughter and denying your ex contact with you daughter was the dependency court. That case is most likely closed at this point. While it was not a good idea for you to go against the Court's Order, if the dependency case is closed, then it is not likely that you will receive any negative repercussions for those actions. You will have to explain to the family law court most likely why you allowed him to visit with her if he brings it up in Court and the lawyer will likely try to use that as evidence that you are not adequately protecting your daughter but it would shine a bad light on his own client so it will most likely not be done. You should really consider retaining a family law attorney to assist you with your case. Most JUSTIA attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Contact one of us tody and let us know that you found us on JUSTIA. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.