Bakersfield, CA asked in Immigration Law and Workers' Compensation for California

Q: Immigration and workers comp

My mother who is an immigrant and an employee of a company where she works as a farm worker in California, was recently put on workers comp due to her having nausea and dizziness that made it unsafe for her to work. after getting the OK from her doctor to go back to work, she went to the main office to let them know that she can go back to work, however they wanted a written note from the doctor, which meant my mother had to wait another whole week for the doctors appointment which she was not payed for, then earlier this week, then earlier this week they told her that all jobs were filled and that when one comes available that they will contact her. Is there any legal action that she can take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy J. Wallace
Nancy J. Wallace
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Grand Terrace, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Labor Code 132(a) makes it a misdemeanor crime for the employer to demote or terminate an injured worker just because they requested workers comp benefits. The trouble here is the employer can defend by claiming it really had nothing available for Mom with her skill set. CAN MOM PROVE that this employer has openings?? Is this employer hiring workers with Mom's skill set to go out every day?? Is this employer advertising what Mom did on Craigslist ?? The next problem is the lack of a valid Social Security number. When the complaint is filed and the employer or insurer (or both) check the SSN and it comes back invalid, the employer then claims it would hire Mom but it can't because that's a violaton of law. If Mom has a good Green Card or good Social Security number, she is entitled to State Disability Insurance through EDD. but with no valid SSN, EDD will reject her claim and then the WCAB Judge won't order the employer to re-hire her because that's illegal. You might write a letter to the insurance adjuster noting Mom is due back wages and re-hiring under Calif. LC 132a and see if the adjuster in instructed by the Comp Insurer to rehire mom.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.