Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law for California

Q: Visitation

Good day, I live in Ohio and my son is in California, I pay child support while he lives with his Aunt not his mother. He wants to come out and visit and I'm arranging this with the Aunt who says the mother says it's OK. Is a verbal agreement or the conversation through txt enough for him to visit or do I require something in writing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It would be wise to get written consent from your child’s mother. Not knowing what your child custody agreement says, it is safer to assume that you must get her written consent on paper (not via text messages) to take your child out-of-state.

Because you mentioned Child Support, you should be aware that paying Child Support does not have anything to do with Child Custody. Bottom line, need to follow the court’s orders, to the letter.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.