Deltona, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Hi, My Brother passed away a year ago. He owned a house in Aguadilla, PR that was paid in full.

Before my brother passed away a year ago he made a will had it witnessed and notarized in his county of residence in FL. In the will he left equal parts of the house enherited to his mother, his niece and his only daughter. His life insurance and bank accounts were left 100% to his mother. How can we enforce this will? Can the daughter be bought out the house by paying her the third of the house value? What process we need to follow?

Thank you for any information that you could provide.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. Under Puerto Rico Inheritance Laws, one-third of all belongings are reserved for the children. Thus the Testament (Will) made in Florida would not be a legal document in Puerto Rico since it violates the Inheritance Laws of Puerto Rico. Thus under local Law, your beloved brother passed on intestated (without a Will). This now forces the sole Inheritor (daughter) to create an Estate and Probate the Declaration of Inheritors in the Courts of Puerto Rico. All belongings in Puerto Rico are inherited by the daughter only.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.