Pell City, AL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: My fiancé and I have 2 year old twin boys that are staying with a family friend while we fight with DHR to get custody

The family That has them always said that they were fine financially I did not need any money from us. But now after 10 months the DHR’s Lawyer Is Requesting for us to pay child support..We don’t have a problem paying, but I don’t understand how they can ask for back pay all the 10 months that they’ve had them..I guess my question is will we Get in any trouble if we only pay the monthly payments from here on out? Like if our payments are $300 a month, but we owe back pay of $3000, can we just pay the minimum of 300$ a month from here on without issues?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. Yes, other people are feeding, housing, and clothing your children. You are still financially responsible and they can obtain child support from you and the father.

You can pay the minimum amount, but the interest will accumulate and you will owe much more than $3,000.00. Don't pay your arrears at your own peril. Thank you for your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.