Clyde, OH asked in Business Law for Ohio

Q: My dance students paid money to enter competitions but the events were cancelled due to COVID. How can I get refunds?

Competitions are only giving credit, but some of our dancers are not returning to classes. Parents want a cash refund which involves thousands. Basically the competitions are holding our money forcing us to return to their competition.

By law do I have to give these refunds if I have not been given the money back? Parents are told at the beginning of the year that refunds are not given if a child drops classes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Martin Turner
Mark Martin Turner
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Clyde,

The answer is it depends. For the Competitions, the contract the studio/club signed with the Competition legal entity will control that. If the contract says that if the event is canceled or postponed you only get credit, not your money back, that controls. If it is silent about refunds, then it could go either way, especially because the event was canceled through no fault of either side.

As for giving refunds to the parents, your contract will control. You could also offer to return funds next year as new dancers go to the next level and replace those who graduate, or make the credits transferable to other families who could buy them.

In the end, it will come down to the contract language of both contracts.

Hope this helps.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.