San Bruno, CA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Idaho

Q: nephew was just born taken into Idaho custody both parents are users. They now want to sign there rights to me can they?

I live in California and this is happening in Idaho. I know different states different laws. But she's been a drug user the entire pregnancy. My brother isn't no better and actually called CPS himself on her and has made reports and so have I. Well i was contacted by a case workwr regarding my nephew and doing a interstate paperwork and a CPS worker coming to my home to do a home check. She had mentioned both parents weren't on the same page . We'll both parents are on the same page and want to sign their rights to me. My brother and her have mentioned me adopting him in the past. They have a status hearing coming up to determine placement of the child , my question is they are now on the same page and both want to sign rights to me will it be harder now w the state involved or easier. Do I need to get an attorney to make sure my nephew is w me and not on a foster home.

2 Lawyer Answers
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA

A: I recommend that you post your question in the Idaho forum since that is where the child is located. I wish you and the child the best of luck!

Kevin M Rogers agrees with this answer

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: As a family member you will be "preferred" by the court to be a guardian of the child, if a guardianship is sought by you. The Court could start out by granting you guardianship and then down the road, you could apply for a permanent guardianship. If both parents are willing to terminate their parental rights and you are stable and willing to adopt, then yes, you'll need an attorney to draft: 1. A Petition to Terminate Parental Rights; and 2. A Petition for Adoption.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.