Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Idaho Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Idaho on
Q: I have legal permanent gaurdianship of my son. He wants me to adopt him. what steps do i take

Can his biological parents stop it from happening

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jan 4, 2021

Do I understand your question correctly? Did the bio parents lose custody? You refer to him as your "son?" Is he your legal or bio "son?" If we assume that he is your "legal son" and that you have "legal, permanent guardianship" of him and would like to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Q: I have a question about a child in the foster system

She is 16 and hasn't been suicidal for almost two months but her mother and case manager have told a mental hospital the she's "hearing voices" and "threatens to kill herself". If she(the foster child) tells the mental hospital herself that she hasn't been... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Sep 25, 2020

Idaho law allows anyone who believes a juvenile is suicidal or trying to hurt herself or others to petition the court for immediate guardianship. All that needs to happen is the juvenile herself or someone else who is witness to her comments or actions, to notify LE, who is required by law to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Idaho on
Q: nephew was just born taken into Idaho custody both parents are users. They now want to sign there rights to me can they?

I live in California and this is happening in Idaho. I know different states different laws. But she's been a drug user the entire pregnancy. My brother isn't no better and actually called CPS himself on her and has made reports and so have I. Well i was contacted by a case workwr... Read more »

Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray answered on Aug 22, 2020

I recommend that you post your question in the Idaho forum since that is where the child is located. I wish you and the child the best of luck!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Idaho on
Q: Is it legal to not allow a biological mother to see her children if there is no court orders?

I feel I have been wrongfully alienated from my sons. They are now adopted by thier paternal grandparents, to which I know that my sons will have to seek me when they come of age. With that being said I feel they took advantage of me, had me sign my rights over unwillingly, and had alienated me... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jul 28, 2020

Once the adoption took place, water passed under the bridge and there's no going back. Your desires to see them notwithstanding, you should not bother the paternal grandparents and NEVER make an attempt to see your sons. If they're curious when they come of age, they will seek you out,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Q: If children adopted by parental grandparents. Are both non custodial parents responsible for arrears in child support

I hadn't paid child support from 2007 to 2012. When I got my job I immediately called child support and started paying tears and current. Children were adopted by grandparents in 2014. Current child support stopped. I now pay my rears as much as I can when I can. I feel as though I am the only... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jul 6, 2020

The child support "program" in Idaho goes like this: we (Legislature) want PARENTS (rather than taxpayers, to pay for children! It's a "policy" enshrined in our codified laws. So, its very simple math: natural parents were 100% jointly, financially responsible for their... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Idaho on
Q: Can you adopt a child without the parents consent if you've been raising the child for years and the mother only visits?

My husband has been raising his ex- girlfriends daughter since she was 3 she is now 10 and the mother left her and their child together with him about 3 years ago and only would visit them occasionally and now lives out of state and pretty much just calls them- we are wondering what we can do and... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Feb 26, 2020

To answer the first question, "Yes" you CAN adopt a child . . . without the parent's consent.

Here's the catch: NOTHING your husband or you have done for their daughter in the intervening 7 years has given you ANY PARENTAL RIGHTS. During the past 7 years you COULD...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Q: While under protective supervisions with my children from the department of health and welfare can I leave state

Under protective supervision

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Feb 19, 2020

Ask your case worker. You don’t want to leave the state or move across town or change jobs or get a piercing without speaking with your case worker!

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Q: I have done sign my right away before my daughter born,but my ex never filed it... then my ex

Then my ex and her husband were adopting my daughter and she ask me to sign my right away again for the second time! It was half way process and had to pay 9k for stuff suddenly it went up 50k it cost my parents money to help me get thou. I waited waited. I want to get it done bam 6 month... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Feb 7, 2020

I want to tell you what you should do.

First off, Idaho would not allow you to "sign off" rights to your daughter UNLESS there is someone willing to adopt her. In your case, your ex-wife did not give your daughter your last name and wanted to adopt her daughter as much as you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Idaho on
Q: Hi! How do I help my orphaned brother (17 y.o.) immigrate to the US now that I've been granted asylum status? Thanks!

I was just granted asylum and will be applying for a green card next year. However, I worry about my younger brother who is still in my country of origin. He is 17 and he is the only immediate relative that I have there. Since we lost our parents at a young age, I assume that role for him, even... Read more »

Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain answered on Nov 7, 2019

Unfortunately, after being granted asylum, you cannot sponsor or petition siblings, only spouses and children. So you would not be able to sponsor your brother directly. You would have to wait until you are a U.S. citizen to directly petition him. Or, he might have another way to come into the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Idaho on
Q: Is it possible to file to have parental rights removed of a parent if the people who are adopting are not married

I am then natural mother and looking to removed the rights of the natural father, However, I am not married to who would be adopting them. What are my options

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Sep 18, 2019

I'm sorry but it is not possible in the State of Idaho right now. The State of Idaho has a pecuniary interest in NOT terminating a natural parent's rights. Why? Because the State of Idaho taxpayers will ultimately have to pay for any social services that you receive as the unmarried... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Q: My Fiance wants to give up rights to 4 of his 6 children but wants to adopt my 5 year old. Will he still be able to?

4 out of 6 of his children he doesn't have any contact with nor will they allow him any contact. 2 of them live out of state and the other 2 live 45 minutes away. He also wants to adopt my 5 year old when we get married due to him being the only "Dad" she has ever known.

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on May 24, 2018

That's a really good question. Adoption is not a misterial act by a judge. It requires a Petition for adoption and the Magistrate WILL examine the Petition, which includes all kinds of information and the question probably will come up at some point: why would you want to adopt someone... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.