Lancaster, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: What forms need to be filed when a biological father needs to claim paternity of biological child?

Biological mother of child is married to a different man.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Start with these California Judicial Council Forms: Petition to Establish Parental Relationship (FL-200), Summons (Uniform Parentage — Petition for Custody and Support) (FL-210), and Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) (FL-105). You will need to file them in the county where the child lives. There are possibly local forms you will need that vary by county. Most family courts have self-help desks that you can consult.

Establishing Paternity under the under circumstances you describe is going to be challenging. You should seriously consider consulting an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.