Columbus, OH asked in DUI / DWI for Ohio

Q: I am on probation for 2nd DUI, which was dropped to a DUI 1, I just received my 3rd in under 10 years. Since my second

Was dropped to a first, will my 3rd have 2nd DUI penalties? I’m going to treatment for 4-6 months, will this help my case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It depends how it is charged. The way that an OVI is "dropped" to a first instead of second is that the prosecutor simply doesn't allege the prior conviction. It's still there. The prosecutor this time around could allege both prior convictions making it a third, or could allege 1 making a second, or none making it a first. You should be aware, however, that the penalty provisions that are an issue with first, vs second, vs third are mandatory MINIMUM penalty provisions. The judge could decide to impose any sentence up to the maximums and becomes far more likely to impose more than the minimum sentences as you start to stack up the charges. Yes, going to treatment is a good idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.