Cape Girardeau, MO asked in Immigration Law for Missouri

Q: Can I reinstate my green card?

I received my green card in 2005 and exited the United States in 2007 while having a re entry permit that would let me be a permanent resident till 2009 if i returned to the US. Unfortunately I could not return as I was a minor and the decision was because of my parents. I know that for an abandoned green card, a person could I apply for an SB1 visa to come to the US as a legal permanent resident again, but that is not possible for me. It is because i am already in the United States on a student visa, is there any way I could have green card reinstated? such as presenting my case in front of an immigration judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mario Musil
Mario Musil
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR

A: If you did not qualify for the SB-1 visa and you were given a student visa, you would have to re-apply for a green card from the beginning. Unfortunately, there is no way to reinstate a green card before a judge in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.