Borrego Springs, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: My daughter passed away on july 18 she had a 21 month old daughter her her husband and the baby have been living with me

its complicated but my son in law and I do not get along I told him yesterday he needed to go look for a place to live that he could leave Addy with me until he found a place he also is on the spectrum of aspergers he said if He goes so does Addy and you will never see her again

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am so sorry for your loss. In California, grandparents may get visitation rights in a situation like you describe. The laws around grandparent’s rights are convoluted so I recommend that you consult with a family law attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.