Baltimore, MD asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: What would happen if I change my stament if I filed a police report

A couple months ago I thought my boyfriend took my card without my permission and so I told my dad and HE called the cops. I realize now a month or two later I forgot I told him he could use it a couple nights before. So I totally forgot. Will I get in trouble for changing my story? It was an honest mistake and I didn’t mean to file a “false police report”

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula Hough
Paula Hough
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You should not be in any trouble at all if you did not speak with the police. If you did tell the police that your card was used without permission, and your boyfriend is charged, you may want to get an attorney if want to testify to something other than what you told the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.