Traverse City, MI asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Consumer Law for Michigan

Q: Can I sue this company under what tort?

I had a verbal agreement (recorded) with a pest control company to remove a wasp nest with ONLY a non residual contact aerosol pesticide which would be used to kill the wasps quickly in their nest then the nest would be put in a bag and pulled down. I was assured that the chemical used would not affect my chickens in any way. They came and did the work and left a big mess everywhere, nest, larvae and wasp bodies scattered everywhere which my chickens were eating. Later that day they sent me a statement saying they'd ALSO used a residual pesticide that persists in the environment and continues to kill insects over time. When I researched this chemical it was found that chickens exposed to it cannot be used for eggs or meat. But even if the chickens were not part of this scenario I'm extremely angry that this company put a chemical on my property without my knowledge or consent. Is there a tort for this situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You want to know if you have a meritorious case. A lawyer will require a lot more information to answer this question. The biggest problem with your potential case is the verbal contract. Your recording may or may not be admissible in court based on multiple factors. If it's not admissible, you have an uphill battle because the material terms of the contract are 100% up to court or jury assessment, based on he said/she said testimony. I suggest you contact a local attorney to hear the recording and review your fact patter in more detail. Also important is the health of your chickens. If they cannot be used, you obviously have additional damages. So proving they cannot be used (if indeed this is the case) is critical.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.