Sykesville, MD asked in Divorce and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Im 22 (m) and my mom wants to divorce my step-father. Is there any legal way to have him stay as my step-father?

He has helped me through high school and college now and has been very beneficial to my life. Now my mom is deciding to divorce and I'm about to lose my step-father, but I don't want to. I love my step-father a lot.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You are old enough to have a relationship with your step-dad without any court involvement. You are also old enough to make a decision as to whether you want to reside with him--it is no one else's decision but yours.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.