Fort Worth, TX asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Criminal conviction in a mun. court not of record. Appeal bond ordered payed before or at time of filing notice. why?

The trial judge has ordered a cash appeal bond be payed at the time of or prior to the filing of the notice of intent to appeal. This bond is in the same amount as the fines I was sentenced to. Is this not a denial of the right every person has to appeal in every case in Oklahoma? Seems that if not the Article would be worded that every person has the right to appeal in every case in which they are able to pay the entire fine as sentenced in a lump sum within ten days of Sentencing. What can be done to prevent such an avoidance of justice? Is this proper? if not proper, is this commonplace despite not being proper?

1 Lawyer Answer
Frank A. Urbanic
Frank A. Urbanic
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: No, it's not. There are cases that say they can't do that, yet it's still done all over Oklahoma. Hire an attorney to address this issue with the judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.