Dallas, TX asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Tax Law for Texas

Q: Is there required form of legal tender that people can't decline when dealing with debt?

I have a friend whom helped pay for my car. He paid the last 1000 or so.

I brought him cash, he says no cash. I bring him card, says cash only.

This has happened twice each. Is there required form of legal tender that he can't decline.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: There is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law that says otherwise. Texas does not require the acceptance of cash for payments. Based on your friend's back and forth regarding payment, there seems to be more to the story. Is there anything in writing between the two of you regarding the payments he made on your behalf? Is he charging interest? I am presuming that your friend does not hold a lien on your car nor that he is registered as the owner or co-owner.

I would suggest a quick consult with a local attorney that can ask you a few questions and suggest an easy solution. They are several ways in which you can protect yourself from future allegations that you failed to make the payments or that you owe a substantial amount in accrued interest.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.