Asked in Construction Law and Traffic Tickets for Alabama

Q: Is the speeding fine still doubled in a construction zone when no workers are present?

I was clocked by a state trooper supposedly doing 102 in a construction zone on a sunday. i say supposedly because he had to come over through 2 lanes in steady traffic to get behind me. I am in college and I really cant afford a ticket that big, and the points on my license will make my insurance go up. I don't even have a job, is there anything i can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If you don’t have any prior tickets, ask for it to be dismissed if you take driving school. If you do have prior tickets ask for it to be dismissed on costs. Or ask for a trial because most troopers don’t show up. They will get one continuance. At the next court date, if the trooper is not there, then ask for it to be dismissed for lack of prosecution. If all that fails, ask for the ticket to be reduced to 10 over, so it will only be two points on your license and plead guilty. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.