Hagerstown, MD asked in Uncategorized for Maryland

Q: What POA do I choose to handle all of my mentally disabled Uncles affairs

I’m already his Representative Payee through S.S. But I need to take care of his health, housing and have full access to all of his affairs. Thank You

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: A disabled person who is unable to manage their affairs may not be competent enough to execute a valid Power of Attorney. Instead, if someone is incompetent without a pre-existing Power of Attorney the family usually needs to seek legal guardianship through the courts.

The specific facts of a particular situation may affect how this general statement of law applies. The above is not legal advice and questions seeking guidance in a specific situation should be raised with an attorney in a confidential setting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.