Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Ohio

Q: Will I have to do jail time for writing a bad check if I was unaware that I didn’t have the funds at the time?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Joslyn
Brian Joslyn
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: To be convicted of passing a bad check you must have intent. Under the Ohio Revised Code Section 2913.11, it states a person must have a “purpose to defraud” and must “know that it [the check] will be dishonored or knowing that a person has ordered or will stop order payment on the check.” Essentially, a person must be knowingly and intentionally passing a bad check to be convicted of the crime. With experienced legal representation, you can provide evidence to prove why you had no intent to pass a bad check and avoid any jail time.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.