Springville, UT asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Utah

Q: My ex is selling his house and I am apparently on the title. What advice would you give me on what to do?

My ex called me tonight to let me know he is selling his house but can’t because my name is on the title. He is asking me to sign documents that basically give my rights to the house away? I don’t know how this works and I had no idea I was even on the title. We was never married. We bought this house back in 2017 to raise our family and things didn’t work out. I was a stay at home mom during the course of living there. I did not pay any bills although I did purchase yard care items for the house in which I left there when he broke things off. He paid the mortgage and all the bills. I’m conflicted on what to do. What are my rights in this situation? He said something about a court battle if I didn’t sign over my rights to the house which would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time. I fear if I don’t agree to do what he is asking that it will put a strain on the way we are parenting our child. We have already went through lawyers and just closed our custody case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: As a Real Estate attorney, I don't have much to tell you. Outside of a marriage relationship, if someone places your name on the deed, this is normally either a gift, or a purchase, of 50%. When a parent adds a child to their deed, the child is now a part owner.

Because you had a relationship very similar to marriage, the courts may choose to handle the property differently. Divorce courts routinely will evaluate how long the relationship lasted and what property was brought into the relationship to determine what everyone receives at the other end.

What you need to know is how the court will view your past relationship. And how they might divide up the property.

I recommend you talk to a divorce attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.