Orlando, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I filed to be a financial sponsor for an international student to get his F-1 visa. How can I rescind this?

Our relationship has changed, and I no longer feel comfortable vouching for his financial viability. I know if he drops out of school or something else, they can come to me for the remainder of the tuition and fees payment due. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Is there anything I can get from him to ensure I don't get left holding the bill if he chooses to not do the right thing? What conditions must occur for my liability to end?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can not. You enetered into contract with the US Government wherein you agree to assume financial responsibility unless or until a few conditions occur that terminate your responsibility. You can read upiur responsibilities on the form you signed before the signature.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.