Capitol Heights, MD asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Maryland

Q: I had a charge that I had plead guilty to which was about bank fraud received 5-6 mths house arrest over 7 years ago

Now I have a business need to carry because I handle money and bank drops alone I'm a lady leave alone my crime isn't violent why does this prevent me from getting my HQL

1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You'll need to check the requirements of the licensing authority. They may or may not be concerned as to whether or not an applicant has been convicted of a crime of violence. They may be more concerned with convictions relating to honesty and propensity to tell the truth. If this is a crime for which they won't issue a license, you might be able to meet the requirements for a " good cause" expungement of your record. You would need to hire an attorney to pursue the good cause expungement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.