Jacksonville, NC asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for North Carolina

Q: I have property that was left to my family. I want to Put the property in my name.

The property wasnt left to one person so there is no clear way to use the property. I have been the onlyh person to pay taxes on this property for 15 years and i would like to put it in my name so i can live on it. What do i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Cannot understand your facts stated. But hire a competent attorney to draft an Affidavit of Heirship, which will record a source of title. Then you need a Quit Claim Deed from the other heirs over to you. If they will not convey, you may have to file a Partition Suit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.