Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: My pops is gifting me land in N.C but it needs to be split in half and put in my name. How do I go about doing that?
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jul 12, 2020

A lot split is not a do it yourself project. You will need an attorney and a surveyor. I would also recommend an attorney to do the deed correctly.

However, there are very good reasons for not doing lifetime gifts, and your dad should talk to you and estate planning attorney about that.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: If siblings each own a piece of land and 2 siblings live on their piece of land and the third siblings land is not being

lived on and the only access to that piece of land is down my private path and that sibling sold her piece of land to a company without letting us know do we have to grant that company access to that piece of land or do they have to find another access

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 5, 2020

That possibly dominant tract probably has an Easement either by Prescription, express grant, or possibly by necessity. Hire a competent attorney to perform a title search of the adjoining properties, examine survey plats and/or tax maps, and provide his opinion. If you obstruct or destroy the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Land Use & Zoning for North Carolina on
Q: I live in a senior community that requires a sticker issued by the property mgr. to residents to prevent towing. There

are several handicap spaces. My car was parked in one of them when it was towed. I have a handicapped displayed on my rear view mirror. Is that a legal tow?

Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Feb 26, 2020

According to you - you need a sticker in addition to a handicapped plate or placard. If you didn't have a sticker it is likely a proper tow.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for North Carolina on
Q: Do I need a lawyer to deed my house that my mother left to us ,how do I deed to myself and can I just copy my mom's dee
Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Jun 3, 2018

You do not need a lawyer to prepare the deed, or to record it, if you competently know how to do it yourself.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: I own some land and I have a promising buyer. Can I have money fronted from that buyer now and reduce the total price?

I own some land. I know someone that has promised to buy it. Is there any type of document that could be drawn up that allows me an advance of the price the buyer has promised before time of sale so that at time of sale the amount would be less en bloc. E.g. promised 30,000. I ask to have 5,000... Read more »

Will Blackton
Will Blackton answered on Feb 5, 2018

Probably. Have you already entered into a written sales contract? You state that the potential buyer "promised to buy it." In North Carolina, all contracts or agreements to sell or convey land must be in writing to be enforceable.

There are a few ways to accomplish your goal...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Land Use & Zoning for North Carolina on
Q: I relocated because a friend of a friend promised me a rental property. Now they are no where to be found.

I moved from Philadelphia to Charlotte with my family after a friend of a friend promised to rent one of her rental properties to me. She could not give me a lease yet because she had a tenant moving out but she said I could move in as soon as they were out. So I transferred my job and uprooted my... Read more »

Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz answered on Aug 2, 2016

Leases for less than three years do not have to be in writing to be valid in North Carolina. However, since she specifically stated that she was not giving you a lease yet, it would likely be hard to prove you had a lease. There are many properties to rent in Charlotte, so its harder to show... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.