Arlington, VA asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: Custody of my granddaughter and also become a foster grandparent for her?

My daughter is an alcoholic and getting sicker. I want to go to court to apply for custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes, you can petition the court for third party custody. However, it is not something you should do without the assistance of counsel. Unless the Department of Social Services is involved, it is unclear as to how you can be a foster parent for your granddaughter. The best and easiest course of action would be to file for the custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.