Gainesville, FL asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Florida

Q: I threw away previous tenant's son mail, without knowing it is ilegal

Hello, Could you please help me? I am not from the US and I am not that familiar with the mail laws. I know I am not supposed to open other people's mail. I moved in to a new house on February and I have been getting a lot of mail from other people here, I threw away all of it without knowing that it is ilegal. Now a neighbor that used to live in this house tells me his son had a passport sent here on March. They never told me about it till now and it was most probably thrown away without knowing it was illegal to do it so. What should I do? Should I look for a lawyer? Or should I pay for the passport they had sent to my address? Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It is doubtful that you did anything wrong or, if you did, that you will be charged. If postal authorities contact you, don't say anything until you have consulted with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.