Alpharetta, GA asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: My grandmother passed away, her 2 children don't want her house, they're letting HUD take it. I want to buy it.

My grandmother passed away, her 2 children don't want her house, they're letting HUD take it. I want to buy it, but they keep saying no they just want HUD to take it. How can I become an heir or get authorized to buy it so HUD's management company will discuss buying her house with me? The management company said they can't talk to me about buying my grandmother's house unless one of her heirs say yes. My grandmother's house should stay in our family. Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Has someone begun the probate process? You may have priority to do so if the ones 'ahead of you in line' don't, which it sounds as though may be the case. Did your grandmother leave a will? Are you listed in that will? What is the status of the house? Why does HUD have an interest? And there are likely other questions that need answers too before the situation can be fully vetted.

In short: there are many questions to answer before diving into what you can do and the best way to address this is by setting up an appointment with a local (to where the house is located) attorney who is familiar with Probate and discussing the situation.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.